Today marks 41 years of legalized abortion in the U.S. This past Sunday I preached a Sanctity of Life message as I plan on doing every year until there is a great moral reform in the law, which I am hoping to see in my lifetime. Here is a summary of what I shared with my congregation.
The Reality of Abortion in the United States
The following are statistics about abortion in 2014 taken from Abortion: The Ultimate Exploitation of Women by Brian Fisher.
- Abortion is one of the most common surgical procedures in the U.S.
- It is the leading cause of death (heart disease kills 600,000 annually while 1.2 million pre-born children die each year from abortion).
- Over 55 million Americans have lost their lives to abortion since 1973.
- 3 in ten women in America are post-abortive by the time they are 45. This implies that around 30 percent of men are also post-abortive.
- Abortion is an enormous industry, generating more than $800 million each year for abortion doctors, facilities, and providers.
- Virtually every major city in America has at least one abortion clinic. Most large cities have several.
- Our political candidates declare a formal position on the topic before every election.
- Planned Parenthood, the largest abortion provider in the United States, celebrated the 40th Anniversary of Roe v Wade by stating, “That’s 40 years of protecting every woman’s fundamental right to make her own personal medial decisions.”
- “I remain committed to protecting a woman’s right to choose this fundamental constitutional right....[W]e must also continue our efforts to ensure that our daughters have the same right, freedoms, and opportunities to fulfill their dreams.”--President Barak Obama.
The following biblical passages show the value of human life as God’s image-bearers and how God’s sanctuary to form human life is in the womb.
(Scripture passages from the ESV)
So God created man in his own image, and in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them. And God said to them, 'Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth.'"
- Because shedding innocent blood is an abomination in the sight of God (Prov 6:17).
- Because legalized, abortion on demand in the U.S. brings disgrace upon our nation (Prov 14:34).
- Because Christians are called to be salt of the earth and light of the world (Matt 5:13-16).